Looking for a weekend, retirement or vacation home in Florida. There is only one place that’s affordable, with low tax rates and tropical weather year round. Yes, Central Florida in the middle of the orange groves, sits Lake Placid and Sebring with some of the most spectacular affordable lakefront homes in the country.
Lakes, hills and winding roads are one of Highlands County’s most attractive natural features along with oranges and fresh fruits and vegetables. The greater Lake Placid area includes 29 named lakes with over 11,000 acres of surface water, as well as Lake Istokpoga, Florida’s fifth largest lake at 27,692 acres. There is an incredible diversity of lakes in the area that ranges from large deep, clear lakes such as Placid and June-in-Winter to shallower, highly productive lakes such as Apthorpe, Crews and Carrie that support excellent fish populations. Lake Istokpoga, world renowned for its fishing, also supports resident populations of osprey and bald eagles, as well as many other forms of wild life. Water quality in Lake Placid’s lakes is generally excellent and clear water with white sandy hard bottoms.
Owning a home on one of these lakes is very affordable when you compare to waterfront along the coast or up north. Cheryl Oxsalida, a local realtor in Highlands county sold several lakefront homes in the past few month, one on Lake Grassy, a 2 Bedroom 2 bath with a great water view was only $72,000. “There are occasional super bargains like the Lake Grassy home” said Cheryl Oxsalida, “but all the lakefront homes go very fast and are in big demand because they are so affordable and they are a real break from the coastal cities”
Highlands County stretches from Lake Placid on the south end to Avon Park on the North end with Sebring as the largest and most populated in the middle. Sebring has all the shopping you need, a shopping mall, movie theatres, bowling ally, lots of restaurants and a small downtown with quaint events almost every weekend. In just a few hours you can get away from it all on the lakefront home with a swimming pool. If you like golf, there are country clubs and over 20 golf courses.
Here are some of the great waterfront pool home bargains on the market right now.
ª 106 Lake Drive Blvd 3/2 over 1600 sq ft of living space with Pool on Lake Jackson in Sebring $225,000.
• 374 Catfish Creek in Lake Placid Custom Built Pool home on 1 acre 3 Bedroom, 3 Bath with 2700 living sq. ft. on canal to lake June with caged pool and spectacular views $229,900.
• .3018 Peachtree Dr Lake Placid Pool Home Canal to Lake June with access to three lakes. 2274 living sq. ft. just $229,900 Listed September 1st.
• 1828 W Dinner Lake Dr. This is hot hot 3 bedroom 3 bath foreclosure on Dinner Lake in Sebring. This custom pool home overlooks the lake with spectacular views. Water sports, fishing, boating and sun bathing are an every day happening. Just $239,900.
• 7 N Meadowlake Circle in Lake Placid is a spectacular home built in 2000 features 3 bedroom and 2 baths with deeded lake access to Lake Huntley. Beautiful modern design for $248,000.
• 101 Bougainvillea St. NE Lake Placid 4 Bed, 2 Bath Pool Home on Canal to Lake June. Built in 2004, this gorgeous home is only $252,900.
• 6926 CR 17 on Red Beach Lake is a 7 Bedroom, 5.5 Bath home that sits on top of a hill overlooking lake with infinity pool that is spectacular. Home is a Spanish deco style castle looking design built in 1925. Needs updating inside. Has an apartment building across from house and is on a huge 250’ x 342’ lot. This home can be bought for just $299,000.
For more information on these lakefront homes and others in Florida’s Highlands County contact Cheryl Oxsalida at 863-214-3663.